There has never been a better time to enter the world of mass media. Here in the New Mexico State University Department of Journalism and Media Studies, you can achieve your degree in a stimulating and creative field of study that will lead to exciting career opportunities in a wide variety of conventional and emerging media industries.
We offer a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Media Studies with hands-on areas of emphasis in advertising, broadcasting, news-editorial, photojournalism and public relations/strategic communications.
The skills you learn as a journalism and media studies major at NMSU can open exciting career opportunities for you in all media fields including a wide variety of online journalism and digital news media; news, sports and weather broadcasting; marketing (including sports marketing); advertising and public relations.
NMSU journalism and media studies students have the opportunity to work on the department’s own award-winning live television news broadcast, News 22, produce digital Spanish language newscasts for Noticias 22, write and create multimedia news and feature story projects for our online news publication, Kokopelli, and produce photographic and written content for our photojournalism website, NMSU Shooters.
The Scoop, which reaches our alumni throughout the world, is a full-color magazine written, edited, illustrated and designed entirely by our students.
The department also has an internship/practicum program, which provides excellent opportunities for students to gain valuable, real-world media experience. Students are also encouraged to apply for national and regional scholarships.
The following list provides a sampling of just some of the media jobs available to our graduates:
- Broadcast/television news reporter
- Online/print newspaper reporter
- Sports writer/reporter (broadcast, online and print)
- Entertainment writer/reporter (all media)
- Weather reporter (all media)
- Television news director/producer
- Multimedia journalist/photojournalist
- Commercial photographer
- Graphic designer/art director
- Digital video producer/editor
- Communications/advertising/public relations specialist
- Communications manager
- Advertising copywriter
- Advertising account manager/executive
- Public relations/marketing director
- Public information officer
- Sports information specialist/director
- Grant writer
- Technical writer
- Copy editor
- Publications editor (online and print)
- Web content producer/editor
- Social media coordinator/manager
The NMSU Department of Journalism and Media Studies: Forty years strong and still passionate about our mission. Turn your passion into action!